Service Design Academy
UNESCO City of Design Dundee
17 Sep 12:15 — 13:15
About the session
As we transition through and out of the Covid-19, Spaces for People is a temporary infrastructure programme in Scotland designed to improve health and wellbeing so that everyone is able to move around their local area safely while keeping to physical distancing requirements.
The Service Design Academy worked with UNESCO City of Design Dundee and Dundee City Council to facilitate a fast-paced engagement initiative to empower communities across the city to shape their spaces, including the temporary pedestrianisation of a busy city centre street.
We will set the scene with the purpose of the project:
- We’ll talk about the background to the Service Design Academy (SDA) and UNESCO City of Design Dundee (UCoDD) partnership and how we facilitated a participative community programme together at speed.
- Presented with this challenge and an opportunity for genuine community engagement, UNESCO City of Design Dundee (UCODD) were confident that the approach taken by SDA was exactly what was needed. The collective listening and understanding of local businesses and residents would shape the redesign of a busy street to be car free, pedestrian friendly and a place that people would want to work, shop, play and live.
- We’ll share how SDA facilitated the workshops as a training and education organisation, with people who had no experience of design or online collaboration.
- We'll share what we learned with clear advice on how we made the tech work for everyone rather than get in the way of collaboration.
- We’ll share how we brought together local businesses, local authority officers and elected members together in fully participative events that led to decisions about the space being made.
- You’ll learn what happened in events led by SDA Consultants using our specially developed card game “Connecting Communities”. Delegates at the SDinGov conference in 2020 helped to develop the game, so we’re excited to share on its progress.
This session will be:
- Delivered: Live
- Recorded: No
- Has a participant number cap: No
- Includes: Opportunity to share questions and experiences on any element of the talk, from gamification of service design to facilitation with citizens. 2021
Themes: Local Gov, Participatory Design, Service Design, Communities, Place, Space, Controversial, Game, Gamification